Lead, connection type for hard casting.

Land based fishing gear is more than just rods and reels. Discuss the tricks of the trade with your kit.

Re: Lead, connection type for hard casting.

Postby Davros-1 (deleted) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I don't trust the swivel bombs, having recently pinged off a 30g one in a full throttle flail attempting to get just that metre further...

The sinker pretty much kept going, and for all I know may still be in low earth orbit.

The rest of the cast didn't go that far at all, sadly. Maybe two rod lengths.

The lead snapper sinkers get freaky when you realise how much the lead is flowing under the strain - not long until the eye would pull through.

Makes sense that swivel bomb type of sinker was developed to cope with fixed spool line twist, or not pre-stretching the older mono lines, particularly if you were fishing in calm water with light lines.

Big issue is the cheap brass swivels used, of unknown rating and indifferent quality and used in silly sized blobs way beyond the original idea. Not helped by possible annealing of the brass or work hardening leading to fatigue failure, bad build methods and so on.

I have melted all my bigger ones down.
The only way to become old and wise, is start young and stupid.
If young and stupid, care is required or you may not get to be old, or wise...
Davros-1 (deleted)

Postby rinkerdink » Thu May 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi,

I am looking at getting some moulds, i've gotten away with 4oz snapper leads and since my old UK stock of leads all went to bottom permanently, my local tackle shop also does breakaways that are of varying quality - some have decent wires others don't even hold under minimal pressure, at $4-5 each depending on size I reckon there is money to be saved moulding my own, i've seen the ultimate breakaway mould set that looks good but I'd rather avoid having to keep buying the plastic bits to make more. Ideally I'd like to make 120, 150 and 175g sizes and hopefully little 90g ones at a push. The money saving will be one thing but the improvement in quality and availability with making my own is what really appeals.

I've had some success making diving weights and the mould paid for itself within 3 weights! I don't expect such a quick payback with the sinker moulds but I am confident I'd be able to turn out usable weights once I have the moulds.

I've looked online and can't decide what is best... Any advice would be great and if anybody has some moulds that are surplus to requirements they want to move on please let me know, I'm in Brisbane so they'd have to be posted but I'll pay a fair price and cover the cost of the postage. I'd rather pick something up on here than take my chances through a mail order from afar...

Cheers

Chris
rinkerdink

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Thu May 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Uk hooks moulds are the pick of the bunch based on what I have used, love mine :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby rinkerdink » Thu May 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I have had a quick look and so far this 4 in 1 set looks too good to be true...

http://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=804

What do you reckon? For the price of beads and other minor bits on there I reckon I'll be stocking up!
rinkerdink

Postby Breamfish » Thu May 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Davros,

You are right about the swivels - the only ones I trust for power casting are the 180-200lb crane swivels. Earlier on I used standard snapper sinkers but got scared when the leader began working it's way through the lead loop. I only use stainless steel loops now!
I wash all my gear in Saltaway after use, including hooks and swivels, but if the swivels look even a little bit old, they are discarded and the beads and clips are recycled into new rigs.
I've busted a permanent swivel that was attached to a metal lure before, I now do not use swivels at all even when luring for salmon - and with a multiplier, none is generally needed. The Gemini clips work a treat, and I've never lost a lure through it becoming unclipped. Ultra fast lure changes too :D

Cheers!

Matt
"He is happiest, not who has the most, but who wants the least".
Breamfish

Postby werty0_0 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi Chris,
I've cast the UK hooks leads - ie cast on a line and cast in a mould - they are great leads also I believe are the only mould that is certified for official casting comp use ( I'm certainly open to be corrected!) they fly really well and with the longer loop grip quite well too. These are the ones -
http://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=905

however I have recently purchased a set of Namix moulds and I'm very happy with them. Phoenix GX (grip extra) leads with an integral bait clip. they take slightly larger wire size and have deeper grooves to hold the wire in place before releasing so in my opinion hold a little better in the surf.
Here's a link to see them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Namix-Phoenix-Beach-Leads-with-Failsafe-Bait-Clip-New-Sizes-/201080944201

cheers,
Simon
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
werty0_0

Previous

Return to General Gear