Stainless steel wire

Land based fishing gear is more than just rods and reels. Discuss the tricks of the trade with your kit.

Stainless steel wire

Postby rinkerdink » Tue May 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi,

Got some moulds on the way and thought it would be a simple task to source the grip wire locally (to save on weight/shipping)... after scouring the internet and loads of calls today I've drawn a blank! I've tried all sorts of metal merchants and got nowhere.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree or missing something? Can somebody put me out of my misery and suggest where I'm likely to find some - 18 gauge/(approx) 1.25mm.

Thanks,

Chris
rinkerdink

Re: Stainless steel wire

Postby jonathan » Tue May 27, 2014 10:53 pm

I buy mine from SA Springs. They manufacture all types of springs and offer spring steel in a variety of gauges. I usually buy it in 20m lengths and that costs about $8.00. I have found the 1.6mm to be the best diameter in terms of grip and workability. Try and find a local spring supplier/manufacturer. The same gauge is good for making loops and bait clips. The 2mm is great for slides. Hope this helps.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!
There have been further cutbacks and all lights have been permanently extinguished!
jonathan

Postby rinkerdink » Tue May 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Jonathan,

Thank you, quick google search and already have options, you'd think searching for spring steel and stainless steel wire would have got me there! I had no idea there was such a think as a spring supplier :-). Looks like it's on again..,

Cheers

Chris
rinkerdink

Postby jonathan » Tue May 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Glad to help. For additional dollars they will also cut it to length and straighten it for you, but personally I enjoy the pain of doing it myself. The 2mm is real fun to work with.
There have been further cutbacks and all lights have been permanently extinguished!
jonathan

Postby jaypeegee » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi

You can also try a welding supplier.
I make through wired wooden lures and rig clips, Slide cages etc out of 1.6 and 2.0 ss
Approx 30 NZD for a kilo
1 mtr lengths

Works very well
jaypeegee

Postby rinkerdink » Wed May 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks, initial enquiries at spring manufacturers - minimum charges of $70 through to $100 charges to locate the drum and charge by the kg after that!!!! will give the welding suppliers a go. Managed to get some 1.6mm stainless wire from a machine shop at a science facility I was working at today but it had been lying around for years apparently. At this rate I'll be mail ordering it from SA
rinkerdink

Postby werty0_0 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Not speaking from direct experience, I believe stainless steel will not harden in that way. There is a requirement for a certain carbon content. Certainly happy to hear different!

Aaron, maybe you might know something about this from your background?

Cheers!
Simon
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
werty0_0

Postby jonathan » Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 pm

Chris, you are being ripped off. Both Haznomad and I have bought from a local supplier for the prices I mentioned. Keep looking until you find a supplier who wants to do business. If you strike out, let me know. I can always buy a length and cut it down to mailable lengths. I think I can do this for less than $70-100.
jonathan

Postby jaypeegee » Thu May 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Confused as to why the hardening process is mentioned?
Likely the material will not be martensitic but could be carburized although I don't see why is necessary.
As always, happy to learn why and expand the brain
jaypeegee

Postby werty0_0 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:25 pm

I think Ryan is talking about hardening the stainless so it's not too soft and therefore easy to straighten out under high load during a cast...Ryan?

I might be thinking of surface hardening when considering carbon content too. :oops:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
werty0_0

Next

Return to General Gear