Stainless steel wire

Land based fishing gear is more than just rods and reels. Discuss the tricks of the trade with your kit.

Re: Stainless steel wire

Postby werty0_0 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:25 pm

I think Ryan is talking about hardening the stainless so it's not too soft and therefore easy to straighten out under high load during a cast...Ryan?

I might be thinking of surface hardening when considering carbon content too. :oops:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
werty0_0

Postby billmNSW » Thu May 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Old bicycle spokes may be ok. They are usually 2mm which may be too thick for you. Bike shops throw away heaps of bent wheels at times so would probably give them to you for free. Just cut the spokes out of the wheel with good cutters if you cannt be bothered unscrewing them. Most of the spokes are stainless steel.

Bill.
billmNSW

Postby jonathan » Thu May 29, 2014 11:32 pm

The wire we use is spring steel which holds its shape and needs nothing other than some bending.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!
There have been further cutbacks and all lights have been permanently extinguished!
jonathan

Postby rinkerdink » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Hurrah,

Managed to find 1.6mm 304 stainless steel, guy grumbled as bit when I told him how little I wanted, he said it's only about $25 for a kg, no idea how much that actually is in metres but it's a start :-)

Thanks for all the help, ideas and encouragement!!! :D
rinkerdink

Postby Ronnie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Chris,

Can pm me the supplier's contact or shop name for the wires? Do they have 1.8mm or the 2.0mm?
Ronnie

Postby rinkerdink » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Ronnie,

The company is RSA springs in Brendale, Brisbane. A large steel supplier Castle International put me onto them - Castle only sell full spools and as 100kg's of 1.6mm = around 6300m (a lot of leads worth!) they passed on the details of one of their customers. I recommend contacting Castle International, if you provide your location they'll provide details of one of their local customers who you will hopefully be able to buy smaller quantities from.

info@castleinternational.com.au was the e-mail address I used to make initial contact and they replied within minutes.

I hope this helps :)
rinkerdink

Postby Peter Hanson » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 pm

spring grade ss is different to the welding wire you would buy.chromium content is higher in the welding wire were as the carbon content of spring grade ss is higher.this is why some ss will rust and is magnetic.also there is so many differing grades and alloys of ss.im not saying you cant use the welding wire its still quite tough and should stand up to the riggers of a grip lead
This is my rod.there are many like it but this one is mine.
Peter Hanson

Previous

Return to General Gear