Mono

Land based fishing gear is more than just rods and reels. Discuss the tricks of the trade with your kit.

Mono

Postby leew » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi guys what brand of line do you use thats available in tackle shops here in Oz? I've had the misfortune of buying a few spools from tackle shops here, all I can say is it ain't half bloody stiff, my Penn 525s hate it, what store bought stuff do you guys use?

cheers
Lee
leew

Re: Mono

Postby EddieMacSqid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:19 am

Lee,

The Oz distributors tend to follow the Japanese model where mono line is sold by length (300m/600m) spools unlike the UK/US model where line is sold by weight (8oz/1lb) spools.

My preference is to order 8oz spools of Suffix Tritanuim from the UK which ends up being cheaper per meter than the inferior lines available here.

I have used some Japanese market mono in the past that was nice but expensive and no longer available locally.

Eddie
EddieMacSqid

Postby wozscott » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:40 am

Hi Lee,
Penn Mariner . Some people say yuk but have a look in the store when your in next . "Don't judge a book by its cover " It's soft , ties a good knot , it's cheap, and line diameters match up for our casting comps. Comes in 1/4 lbs spools & it's fluro . Yep I use it .
I use it for beach work If u need to fish some heavier ground try something a little more harder?
Rumor , may come out of the suffix factory ?
Scotty
wozscott

Postby Breamfish » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Scott,

I have previously used the Penn Mariner for practice and it works well for that. However I have also performed some knot strength tests and it does not perform nearly as well as Tritanium or Ultima Power Steel for instance. I usually use biminis when testing. At least it's cheap enough for someone to try it out themselves though :)

Regards,

Matt
"He is happiest, not who has the most, but who wants the least".
Breamfish

Postby plankton » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Unfortunately, as with the majority of the Australian retail fishing market, what is available is crap or overpriced or both.

I've been using Hi Seas mono that I source from the US for a few years now and it's great stuff and also inexpensive. Before that I was using Momoi which is nicer than the Hi Seas but also more expensive.

I should also mention that I am not a competition caster, just a simple fisherman, but the Hi Seas stuff casts well enough for me.
plankton

Postby rinkerdink » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 pm

I can get ultimate distance at my local bcf for around $20 for 300m. I like platypus super 100, low diameter, soft and never had a problem with knots, the low diameter means up sizing the breaking strain is an option if you're worried, also around $20 for 300m at bcf depending in the deal. Currently using platypus lo stretch but haven't noticed any major improvement over the super 100.
rinkerdink

Postby leew » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks guys I think I'll add a box of Suffix Tritanium, tbh Ive been using this line for years its good stuff. Even though my last spool wasn't very good for some reason, it appears Suffix have changed there line strengt, 15lb is now 17lb etc I'll have to use 20lb for fishing as its the old 17. I think Suffix have joined the bandwagon and became fixated with high strength low line diameter.

Daiwa Sensor is another good line.
leew

Postby plankton » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:11 pm

rinkerdink wrote:I can get ultimate distance at my local bcf for around $20 for 300m. I like platypus super 100, low diameter, soft and never had a problem with knots, the low diameter means up sizing the breaking strain is an option if you're worried, also around $20 for 300m at bcf depending in the deal. Currently using platypus lo stretch but haven't noticed any major improvement over the super 100.

I used platypus pretest for awhile because it came in hi-vis yellow, pretty decent line, but at $20 to fill a reel it's just too dear. A 1lb. spool of the Hi Seas stuff is just over $20 and there's 2600+ yards on there, even with shipping it's a much more economical alternative, especially if you buy several things to offset the cost.

Aussie fishing distributors are slowly catching on, some reels are now being sold at competitive prices, but most gear is still way overpriced.
plankton

Postby rinkerdink » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:39 pm

plankton wrote:
I used platypus pretest for awhile because it came in hi-vis yellow, pretty decent line, but at $20 to fill a reel it's just too dear. A 1lb. spool of the Hi Seas stuff is just over $20 and there's 2600+ yards on there, even with shipping it's a much more economical alternative, especially if you buy several things to offset the cost.

Aussie fishing distributors are slowly catching on, some reels are now being sold at competitive prices, but most gear is still way overpriced.

Where do you get this line from? After missing out on a Century order was about to import a Leeda Icon M Sport Match as a cheaper have a go rod then had to pay to replace all the locks at home after keys got stolen from car :x This has buggered any plans for fishing gear in the short term but I could do with saving money on the other fishing paraphernalia!
rinkerdink

Postby plankton » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:38 pm

PM sent, rinkerdink :D
plankton

Next

Return to General Gear