New

Land based fishing gear is more than just rods and reels. Discuss the tricks of the trade with your kit.

New

Postby MichaelLyons » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:18 am

Asking for advice on where to buy surf fishing gear. Not much choice in the Malacoota area where I live. Will visit Melbourne soon so looking for a good place to buy a new surf rod and overhead reel and tackle. I fish for gummies so need a rod and overhead reel that can cast and pull. Need hooks, clips and grip leads in to make pulley rigs. Budget is $600 but willing to spend extra for quality. Michael
MichaelLyons

Re: New

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:32 am

Michael , when will you be coming down ? before spending any money it would be best to have a play with a few outfits as there are quite a few options in that price bracket.
For an overhead reel I would suggest the Penn Squall 15 as the number one choice or if you want a bigger reels the Daiwa SL30SH . Rods are a very difficult one to suggest and like I said best to try before you buy.

If you have the opportunity happy to meet up for a casting /fishing session as I have a number of different rods in my collection.

Regards and welcome to the forum. :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby MichaelLyons » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks for the advice. Plan to be in melbourne for the post christmas sales. Will arrange to hook up if have time. Are you suggesting the squal 15 with or without the level wind. Michael
MichaelLyons

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:14 am

Mike , the reel would be the non level wind model .

have a look in the reel section of the forum as I did a short write up on them . Here is a video of the reel in use.

http://youtu.be/UDw0CdEO7Bc

The reel is one of the easiest overheads to cast both for beginner and more experienced caster alike and one that I recommend to a lot of the guys in the club.

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby Ronnie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Agreed with Jeremy's advice.

Penn Squall 12 casting review below. The Squall 12 is identical to the Squall 15 except that the 15 has slight wider spool to hold more line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqXIhGZ9Z1o
Ronnie

Postby Smiley » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:28 pm

A squall is a great reel, if you're going after larger species you might want to go for the larger capacity of the 15. It will give you a bit more flexibility to go to heavier line if you need.

A good rod in your price range would be a Poseidon P5. They are a good entry level rod and capable of casting over 200m. I'll pm you some details of where you can get them from.
Smiley

Postby MichaelLyons » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone. I have ordered a squall 15. Michael
MichaelLyons

Return to General Gear