Trouble free braid

Land based fishing gear is more than just rods and reels. Discuss the tricks of the trade with your kit.

Re: Trouble free braid

Postby EddieMacSqid » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 am

Dan,

Your 30lb PE to 40lb leader to throw 75 gram lures is a good mix as I use 20lb PE to a 1 meter 30lb bite leader to throw 60 gram lures. I use a very short leader to keep the braid/leader knot outside the tip guide when casting. No knot running through the guides during the cast makes wind knots even less likely.

Hard to better the FG knot for a braid to leader connection apart from when using extremely light braid.
EddieMacSqid

Postby Sandgroper » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:51 am

The two braids that I use for fishing are: Suffix Performance Braid (mostly 30 lb) and Berkeley Tracer Braid as both these cast well of an overhead.

As a point of interest to ALL ASF Members, have a look at: http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

There is some very interesting information at this site.

Of recent times, especially in freshwater and lighter line, I have swapped over to GLISS. 6 Kg measures in at 0.12 mm and is as slippery as baby poo on a blanket...... :) No wind knots and casts the little lures out of sight. Very impressed so far.
Chas

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing
Sandgroper

Postby smiles » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:42 pm

I recently found the YGK Super Jigman braid was digging in on itself on the overhead while casting. I'll probably reuse it on some gummy combos for the kayak but it is still pretty annoying.
smiles

Postby Smiley » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:41 pm

On the spinning gear I try to keep the line level about 2mm below the lip. With the Super PE I don't get any wind knots ad it still flows off the spool nicely.
Smiley

Previous

Return to General Gear