Alvey 550C5 side cast reel

Discussion on reels for fishing and casting.

Alvey 550C5 side cast reel

Postby Manildra » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:40 pm

I received the Alvey 550C5 in error and want to know if this reel is worthwhile for beach casting and how it compares with more recent offerings.
I can remember this type of reel used by numerous beach fishermen but that a long time past.

Your help and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Manildra

Re: Alvey 550C5 side cast reel

Postby EddieMacSqid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:16 pm

The Alvey is a fine beach reel. Just ask as Queenslander as they love the things.

The down sides.

- The Alvey is best used on a rod that is designed for an Alvey.
Low reel seat and large stripper guide about half way up the rod.
Using an Alvey on a rod with a high mount reel seat is very uncomfortable to cast.
Using an Alvey with the incorrect rod guides will cost major casting distance as the huge coils that throw off the reel will slap against the rod.
If you already have a rod suitable for an Alvey then all good otherwise you will need to look at getting such a rod.

- The Alvey is ok for bait fishing but to heavy and too slow a retrieve rate for lure fishing.

- You need to manually lay the line across the spool on the retrieve much like an overhead without a level wind.

- Need to use good swivels to avoid major line twist.

The up sides:

- they are basically indestructible

- can take a dunking

- easy to service

- hold lots of line

- can winch a whale up a cliff

- relatively easy to cast well

Whether you keep it or exchange it for something different is up you.

Eddie
EddieMacSqid

Postby Manildra » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 am

Eddie, thanks for the run down, think I will keep it. I remember the guys back in the 1960's with side cast reels trailing line up the beach on the way home. That doesn't phase me and I'm not out to break casting distance records, simplicity and indestructible sounds like me.

Thanks.
Manildra

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:36 am

The sidecast is also a very capable distance casting reel , Keith Heeney used his to great effect in the USA when he came over with me to compete both in the Texas tournament as well as the US nationals.

Key is laying the line on in an even patter so that it flows from the spool when casting and doesn't drag line from the back of the spool.

http://youtu.be/Hn-8L2GkNnY

Keith is casting here at the 1.15 second mark.

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby Manildra » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks Jeremy, I liked the Video. What was a mistaken reel delivered might turn out to be one of the most versatile pieces of gear in my fishing kit.
Manildra

Return to Reels