New Surf Fishing Rod

New technology and the old, choosing the right rod and how to set it up.

New Surf Fishing Rod

Postby steve » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 am

Hi all, first post so be gentle ;)

Im looking at getting a new surf rod for chasing mullies, mostly down Salt Creek/Kingston way.
Current rod is 16ft and overpowered with the sinker/bait being essentially "lobbed" not to far into the suds (only just found out rods have a casting weight!!!). Guess its time to learn how to actually cast properly with a decent rod.

I usually find myself using 6oz grapnel or breakaway sinker plus bait on 60lb mono wind-on leader attached to either 20lb mono or 30lb braid (all dependent on conditions).
Reel I'm using is Ultegra 14000 XTB CI4
One of my problems is finding a rod that suits & can cast these weights.

So far Ive been looking at Penn Prevails & Samaki Zing Surfs in the 12-13ft range. They would be right at the top end of their casting weights if not slightly over so not so sure.
Started looking at Saltiga Balistic Surf because they are rated to 10oz. Read a lot about them & they seem to have a decent reputation.

Going down to a couple of shops today I handled one for the first time and noticed the first eye is relatively small compared with other surf spinning rods Ive ever seen.
One sales guy said, quite forcefully when I questioned it, "thats because its the O/H version and we don't have the spinning version".
Ive previously read that they are suitable for both but the sales guy just brushed that off.
Code is SA-BS33-405G

Can anyone give some feedback on the Saltiga and or any other suggestions?

Cheers

Steve
steve

Re: New Surf Fishing Rod

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Steve ,

Welcome to the site and hope that we can be of assistance in regards to your fishing and casting needs.

One question , where in OZ are you located ? With reference to Salt creek I am assuming Adelaide and if that is the case the best suggestion would be to hook up with the guys on a Sunday morning in the city park where they practice casting and generally have a sociable morning with all things fishing. Best to check on our Facebook page just to make sure that they will be there and not actually fishing somewhere along the coast.
They will be able to give you a try with a few different rods that will meet your requirements.

In regards to the Saltiga Surf it is actually set up for Fixed spool but casting with braided lines , the guide setup is with the Fuji Lowrider concept guides and performes well with straight through braided lines . If you are wanting to run a heavier leader then I would suggest a braided one of about 50 to 60 pounds that way the join knot will be very slime and not have any problems with the lowriders.

Hope this helps . :D

Regards

Jeremy
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby steve » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi Jeremy
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Im in Adelaide. I have made contact with Jonathan but for the last couple of weeks there has been no one down at the park.
Hopefully I will catch up with them soon, my casting style could do with all the help it can get!! ;)

Strange the Saltiga is set up for O/H. All the Diawa marketing has it aimed at eggbeaters with the advantage you could use an O/H. Even points you at the perfect reel being one of their Saltigas.
As do all the sites selling them have them under the "Spin" group of rods. Shame, I quite liked the feel of the thing and the high reel position for extra leverage.
Tho I considered I might get an O/H to try on it some day. My thinking is that in the dark of night, between waves, with a big surf bearing down on you and only seconds to lob a bait out and run back to safety,
doesn't sound like the place for trying something completely new that can fuzz up in your face. :o

Ive been using mono wind-on leaders for a couple of years to stop snapping off rigs when trying to put just a little to much effort into the cast.
Also been using Breakaway Casting Cannons because my finger strength could no longer hold the line long enough when casting with the stronger heavier rig.

Cheers

Steve

P.S. I love your signature saying, I hope you dont mind but Im so going to use it on other forums I frequent.... lol we have cookies lol :lol:
steve

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 am

Steve ,

The Saltiga is not set up for overhead it is set up for a threadline/fixed spool reel with braid. Just run a braid shock leader so that you have the smallest knot for going through the smaller guides.

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby Dan-C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Jeremy is correct in what he was saying. The Saltiga surf IS set up for spinning reels, although it can be used with overhead.
The guide system is infact the fuji lowrider concept, which was designed (very successfully) for use with braid and spinning reels. By pushing the small ringed high framed striper guide a fair way down the blank (like 120cms) it was able to knock the coils out extremely well, so the braid could flow smoothly through the rest of the guide train. A decent shock leader knot may knock around through the guides on the cast, so a heavy braid shock leader is a good idea.
Daiwa do not make a dedicated O/H version of the saltiga surf.
Based on the info you recieved from your tackle shop guy, i would be taking anything he says with a grain of salt as he seems to know very little about the gear he is peddeling.

All this aside, i think it would be worthwhile catching up with the SA boys first. You may very likely find that the saltiga is not exactly what your after, and you may find that there is a better rod suited to what you want without the inflated daiwa price tag.

Dan
Dan-C

Postby steve » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Lol Ok, now I know what a "fixed spool" actually is, in my head I just pictured O/H and went from there :oops: should have used google... see, I did say I need serious help ;)

So Ive not given up on the Saltiga then but Im open to other suggestions of "off the shelf" rods.... I just cant find any with similar specs that would suit such a wide range of the things Im actually doing now & may try in the future (distance casting, O/H casting/fishing etc.).

Cheers Guys :)
steve

Return to Rods