Rod Recommendation Please

New technology and the old, choosing the right rod and how to set it up.

Rod Recommendation Please

Postby brw0513 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:09 am

Hello All.

After a few distractions I'm keen to get practicing with distance casting using an overhead reel. I will eventually be targeting tailor in the surf in south east Qld.

I did some research on the forum here and ended up purchasing a Pen Squall SQL12. My local BCF couldn't help me apparently, so my reel came mail order from NZ.

Could someone recommend a rod please?

Ideally, it would be:

* multi-piece for ease of transport in my short wheel base Pajero
* suited to 12lb mono
* around $200 or so.

I'm not against building a rod but hoping for something off the shelf that can get me started in the very near future.

Is there any particular casting weight I should start with? Are painted lead sinkers ok for training purposes?

I will be watching YouTube videos to get an idea of the casting technique involved but otherwise will be teaching myself.

By the way, the BCF salesmen think I'm a bit loopy trying to use an overhead reel in the surf. The last time I asked, BCF didn't stock a candidate rod for my purpose.

Good advice appreciated.

Thanks.
--------------------------
Ian B
brw0513

Re: Rod Recommendation Please

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:29 pm

What sort of weights are you wanting to throw and what distances are you hoping for. The Squall 12 is a sweet reel and when mated up with a nice 10 through to 12 ' rod and three or four oz leads will put them a good way out. Rods however in you price bracket may only be suitable for simpler overhead thump style casts.

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby brw0513 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi Jeremy.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not aiming for 200m casts. A reliable 120m would be ok with me :)

Not sure on casting weights but up to 3oz should be fine. Is that a WA pilchard with decent size sinker?

I did come across this:

http://www.shdot.com.au/poseidon-coastline-series

12'6" 1-3 Oz overhead.
Ian B
brw0513

Postby Tima » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi

A friend of mine uses an overhead on a Samaki Zing which seems OK although they are ringed for threadlines I think. He has the 2-4 oz version but I would get the 3-6 oz one if I was buying one.

Those Coastline rods look OK too although the overhead versions have the reel set at the bottom South African style. Perhaps you could use an overhead on the spin version as the reel is higher up the handle if you are not happy with a low mount. Coastline (Kingfisher) are based in Brisbane so may be able to help if you paid them a visit.

An average pilchard weighs 1 1/2 ozs so you need a decent sized lead to carry it out especially if it is windy. I fish the Sunshine and Gold Coasts and northern NSW and usually use 4 ozs as a minimum. Add the weight of the pilchard to this and a rod that casts 4 to 6 ozs is required.

Despite what you may read on the web a 120m cast with a decent bait on the beach is a big cast so don't set your sights too high at first.

If you want a hand with casting the overheads just send me a message and we can arrange to meet.

Cheers

Tim Allard :P
Tima

Postby brw0513 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

I have sent an email to Samaki to ask about using a Zing rod with an overhead reel.

There aren't a lot of rod choices around :(

Some more googling also identified a 1162B Daiwa Sensor IZM Overhead rod. Of course, they seem to be discontinued now. But I did find a stockist in China:

https://www.tumomart.com/daiwa-sensor-s ... -1147.html

Great prices but too good to be true? How about a Daiwa M7HTMAG Millionaire Surf Cast Reel for $167?

https://www.tumomart.com/daiwa-m7htmag- ... p-644.html

Minimum purchase is US$300 and wire transfer only. Sounds odd. Anyone purchased from them?
Ian B
brw0513

Postby Tima » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:57 am

HI Ian

Looks dodgy to me especially as they don't do Paypal so you have no comeback.

Reliable companies I have bought rods from were Plat in Japan; Wave Inn in Spain (I think it was Spain); Veals, Gerry's and Summerlands in UK and Basspro in the US.

Don't know if you will get much sense from Samaki when it comes to overheads but good luck anyway.

Cheers

Tim
Tima

Postby brw0513 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi Tim.

This is becoming quite the frustration.

I did hear back from Kingfisher Australia. Apparently the low reel seat is meant to be used with a different technique than seems intuitive to me. Apparently with a low rider the line control occurs with the left hand thumb. I had always assumed the right hand would be at the reel :oops:

Time to start some serious YouTube research.
Ian B
brw0513

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:36 pm

Ian ,

Fishing with the reel in the low position is very comfortable and you will find that you wont need to use the thumb to control the reels other than stopping the spool when the lead is hitting the water.

There are a number of excellent videos on youtube but is you need any advise I am happy to assist.

Have a look at this video that I put together for club presentations.

https://youtu.be/8t90BKXZDTY

Regards

Jeremy
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby brw0513 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks for the offer Jeremy!

Rather than blow money on something completely unsuitable, I might build a rod myself using an older single piece 12' fibreglass blank originally built up for Alvey use :oops:

Would the low rider reel mount be the recommendation to start off with?

Hand placement for casting and then retrieving/fish fighting need careful consideration.

Looking forward to getting back into rod building agian :) Unlike years ago, my local tackle store has close to zero rod building supplies!

Thanks.
Ian B
brw0513

Return to Rods