Century Stealth Graphene 2.5TC

New technology and the old, choosing the right rod and how to set it up.

Century Stealth Graphene 2.5TC

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm

With the arrival of my order from the UK I was more than a little excited to get the new 12' Stealth Graphene out and have a few casts with the hope of catching an early season Red.

I have decided to match this rod up with the Shimano Ultegra TXB 5500 running both Mono and braid, the good thing with this reel is that it comes standard with two extra spare spools making it a very versatile reel for the task.

Initial plan was to take it down to Port Melbourne and meet up with John as he also had a few new rods to play with as well. I had the reel loaded up with 0.28mm Sakuma Nite Crystal and running a 0.45mm shock lead.
I should point out at this stage that this is the lightest rod in the Stealth range and not designed for long distance casting , it is ultra slim and built for Carp fishing with Lightweight titanium guides . The rod has a very slow action which means that casting is a very relaxed affair at best , rushing a cast or trying to belt it does you no good. Just a slow steady cast is all that is needed to get the baited rigs out a good distance. I will do some measurements and video later on as time permits.

Here you can see how slim the rod is

We didn't have any luck on the fish but I was happy the way the rod performed. I should point out that I was only running a light 2 1/2 oz lead with a pulley rig and a pilchard fillet as bait but was still able to get a good cast out with that.

After the initial session I then had a scheduled fishing trip with Samantha where we planned on heading out with the hope of catching a few Salmon on the light rods. Samantha was using her Century FMA mated to a Daiwa 3500 Certate and I had the Stealth but this time with the spool loaded with braid ( 10 Pound Fireline ) and running a 30 pound mono shock leader.
What I was interested to see was how the braid and leader cast with the larger guides that the rod has been built with. Initially we did a bit of spinning with the rods casting 35 gram lures and there I found the slow action of the rod less than ideal which is what I expected.
You had to take it very easy and let the rod load as apposed to my normal punch type of cast when lure casting. Sadly once again the fish didn't want to play ball so Sam and I tried flicking out some un-weighted small pilchards. I was very happy with this as the slow action of the rod allowed the pillies to be flicked out with little drama and the distances were quite reasonable.

Samantha waiting in hope for something to take the Floating Pillies - sadly no takers but the rods did the job getting the baits out nicely

I will get the rod out again tomorrow down at the lake and take some video of how she loads up with a few different weights and also to see if I can get used to the slower action as well as I want to use this rod for a bit of fun light line fishing in the coming season.

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Re: Century Stealth Graphene 2.5TC

Postby Gippslander » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:12 am

Good effort getting out early in the season.

I'm waiting for the water to warm up a little more here in Tas before giving it a shot, although flathead and salmon are still an option if you know where the deeper water is and where their running.
Gippslander

Postby Dan-C » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am

looks like a top day out, despite the fish not playing along.

Looking forward to seeing a bit of video of you casting with the Stealth.
Dan-C

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Well despite the cold wet weather here in Melbourne I was able to sneak out at lunch and have a few casts with the rod. Casting was done with both 75 grams ( initially ) and then with the lighter 50 gram weights. I will try the rod with slightly heavier leads tomorrow weather permitting.

Have a look at the video as i was happy with the recovery of such a soft rod.

https://youtu.be/-iaSW0QF4Xo

Comments and questions welcome :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Return to Rods