Choosing rods

New technology and the old, choosing the right rod and how to set it up.

Choosing rods

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 pm

The headline topic is one that is near and dear to my heart as it's not easy to do given the wide variety of brands, styles and rods available for the various casting and fishing requirements of anglers and casters.

Today was a good example where I met up with ken as he is in the Market for a new rod but it needed to suit him both from an application standpoint as well as a physical one given his age and health issues with his back. The plan was a simple one where we tried out a few different rods with the same reel and weights which in this case was 84 gram and 125 gram .
Ken tried the Century TTLDSM as well as the TTUL-ST and whist both cover similar weights the UL-ST came out on top for him. With ot ability to load up easier and therefore take the pressure from his back he was able to get some very good distances with a simple OHT.

Ken using the UL-ST with his ABU 6500

Now looking forward to having a few more fishing sessions with him and his new rod once it arrives :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Re: Choosing rods

Postby LastBoyScout » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks Jeremy, had a great day, and I am very excited about getting my new rod.
Can’t wait to try it out when we go fishing.
LastBoyScout

Postby Jeri » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Long been an advocate of the 'comfort factor' when deciding on a new rod. We try to keep a sample of all the rods we build in the shop, so folks can bring their reel, and try out a number of different styles/strengths of blank to see what works best for them - the 'comfort factor'.

We have found this principle works equally well for men or women, experienced or otherwise. Very few rods get ordered from us, without folks having a test cast -it is perhaps the only way a client will truly get what they need or are looking for.

Cheers from sunny Africa
Jeri

Location: Namibia, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Namib Desert

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Ken your rod has been ordered and will be here later in February :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Return to Rods