Wind on leaders

Got a special rig, tell us about it!

Wind on leaders

Postby Breamfish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Just wondering...

What are the reasons that knots are used for distance casting as opposed to wind ons?

I have been making a few dacron/mono wind ons and when attached via a /short bimini twist they flow very smoothly through the guides.

Are they used because of price, ease of re rigging, comp rules etc??

Thanks!

Matt
"He is happiest, not who has the most, but who wants the least".
Breamfish

Re: Wind on leaders

Postby lukeaday » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:44 pm

I am sure you can see that wind on leaders take a bit of fiddling around to do compared to a quick leader knot.

I can see how they would pass through the guides with little resistance. Not sure if you are aware but you can also get lapered shock leaders which usually come in a spool of 5, wound end to end. I have some 18lb-70lb Ultima powerflex ones. Great for clean beaches but sucky if you snag up all the time and the wallet doesn't like it too much.
I have a couple of 50lb and a 60lb windons that I might give a go next trip.
lukeaday

Postby Breamfish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks Luke.
I had not heard of tapered leaders before except in fly fishing. Is the idea to make the knot as small as possible while still retaining the shock leader strength?

Just did a quick calculation, using 80 lb Black Magic Tough Trace the wind ons cost no more than $3 each to make, for a 30' wind on. I don't buy pre made ones any more :D And losing them doesn't hurt much either.

Matt
Last edited by Breamfish on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He is happiest, not who has the most, but who wants the least".
Breamfish

Postby lukeaday » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Yeah they are reverse tapered compared to a fly leader.

The ones I have start at 18lb and taper up to 70lb over a length of 7mtrs then it is 70lb all the way for another 8mtrs. 15mtrs in total. This gives you plenty of 70lb wraps on the reel plus a rod and a bit length. Also, if I am using heavier main line than 18lb I just trim back the tapered section til I am happy with how it looks.

Re: Windon leaders. I make my own as well but only for gamefishing. I might have to look more into making up a few more 80lb ones for surf casting!
lukeaday

Postby EddieMacSqid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:02 am

Matt,

I haven’t tried a wind-on as surf casting leaders but can see their worth for fishing if you make them yourself as the manufactured ones are generally too short.

The UKSF rules don’t explicitly mention wind-ons but I think that they would not be allowed to be used for competition casting.
The UKSF does not allow the use of taper leaders for competition casting and it could be argued that the Dacron over the mono changes the diameter of the leader over its length and therefore a wind-on would be considered as tapered.

The tapered leaders are particularly good for threadline/spinning reels as the leader knot is small enough that you don’t need to worry about where it is positioned on the spool. A standard leader knot should always be positioned towards the rear of a spinning reel spool with the leader winding toward the front. This avoids the leader catching on the knot as it comes of the spool. Not having to worry about leader knot position with repetitively lure casting is a big plus.

Eddie
EddieMacSqid

Postby jonno » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

I use home made wind on leaders most of the time when fishing in the surf. 50lb dacron/80lb nyon about 10m long, or 30lb dacron/50lb nylon. A short bimini tied in the main line then loop to loop the two together. The main benefit I find is that any weed on the line keeps sliding over the join as it is wound in.
jonno

Postby lukeaday » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Dam good point!! 8-)
lukeaday

Postby The Prince » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:43 am

For fishing purposes my primitive mind tells me that I should use clear wind on leaders as not to spook the fish away and I have been using it for a long time. I have come upon instances where coloured wind on leaders are being subsequently used and I am wondering if that would scare away a potential fish bite. What are your opinions and experiences on this topic ? Oh I am referring to beach and rock fishing as opposed to game fishing . Thanks Col.
The Prince

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Leader isn't too critical as you can simply have a clear or FC hook leader . The shock leader has never been a problem for me and even the hook length isn't that bad when fishing in discoloured water targeting Snapper and the like.

It would be good to hear what others have found with their fishing

Reagrds :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Return to Rigs