SUNSHINE COAST JEW

General discussion.

SUNSHINE COAST JEW

Postby Tima » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:41 pm

At last a day without much wind so I went up the Sunshine Coast arriving late afternoon, high tide being at 9:15pm. It was a nice sunny afternoon with a slight NE breeze. There had been some reports of jew the week before so I was hopeful especially as I was at a noted jew spot.

I found a shortish gutter with a steep drop off about 20m out and the outer bank about 80m out which looked good.

Started off with my usual 1/0 pennell hooks on a running paternoster rig cast out into the white water on the outer bank. I got a chopper tailor first cast which I kept, then a small dart next cast which went back. On the third cast I got a 71cm jew: the 1/0 lodged firmly in its jaw.

Went quiet for a while then but at dusk I got a slightly bigger jew again with the 1/0 stuck in its jaw. The other hook had the remains of a dart attached to it which looked to have been attacked by a tailor. The rod tip had been bouncing around indicating there was a small fish about so I suppose the jew saw the dart head and grabbed it! I put the jew back having already killed the other one for dinner.

Once it was dark I got a decent bream and a good tailor both of which went back.

Got bitten off a couple of times and also hooked into something big which headed out to sea against the clutch then bit me off. Every time I go to this spot I hook into something big, one day perhaps I’ll land one! Packed up at high tide.

Interesting how the jew took the dart head. I might try the rig we used to use at Dungeness in the UK with a small baited hook as the top hook of the pennell and a larger unbaited bottom hook. A small fish takes the small hook which you will see by the rod tip moving. You leave it there in the hope a large fish will grab it hook and all.

Cheers

Tim
Tima

Re: SUNSHINE COAST JEW

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Top report Tim , hoping to get out for a fish soon myself as only recently got back from the Uk but doc has instructed me to take it easy for a little while due to chest infection. Looking forward to trying out a few new rods. :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby tuppo2491 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Tim,

Good feed.
It is an ABU ? 6500 ? what is the bit sticking out under the reel mount ? in the pic

David
Never "for the sake of peace and quiet" deny your own experience or convictions
Dag Hammarskjold,
Statesman and Nobel Peace Prize Winner
former Secretary General United Nations 1953-1961

[color=#4000FF][i][/i]
tuppo2491

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 pm

In regards to the reel seat , it is a coaster that is assisting the seat from staying in place they were standard on the older Century rods but with the advent of the newer Fuji sliding reel seats on the Century range of rods they are no longer required though some people will still add them for the trigger grip feel which is good when spinning with the seat in a high position.

Regards

Jeremy :mrgreen:
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Return to General