When to power up

Swing it high, swing it low, drag it across the ground? Discussion on casting technique.

When to power up

Postby Gippslander » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:14 am

Can you add full beans: only when left foot is planted and are facing target with left straight out in front.

Or when left foot is planted and you are beginning to drag straight left across your body? Can you attempt to speed this up?

Should you always lead with and concentrate on pull primarily or can you give equal importance to a punch?

Thoughts please cobs
Gippslander

Re: When to power up

Postby jonathan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Asking me, the incompetent? As far as I know, turn the power on too soon and you risk coming over the top or cracking off. Yet some of the OTG casters and flat arc casters seem to turn the power on quite early. I guess by increasing the speed of the backswing, the lead will come around quicker and allow you to speed up the cast?
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!
There have been further cutbacks and all lights have been permanently extinguished!
jonathan

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:32 pm

For me powering up is at the last moment when I have my left fully planted and both arms are out in front with my right pointing up too the 1.0 o'clock position so that I can optimise the left arm pull.

Turn speed for me is dependant on my backswing speed and if I have allowed the lead to step out and start to come around. Once it is in this position the speed of the turn can be increased.

Will try and get out for a session tomorrow but not sure if the weather will allow it :(
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby Gippslander » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Cheers cobbers

Some good points to remember and work on. So I'm not repeating the same old again and again.
Gippslander

Postby werty0_0 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:22 pm

Hugh,
the lead speed on the back swing is definitely related to how fast the turn comes in. I'd suggest without doubt the stability of the foot work is fundamental to how much power you can effectively transfer into the cast, so solid front foot 'plant' is important before the hit. I've found i can get a really high lead speed but the problem comes in getting the timing right and fast enough to get the lead to come round enough to get an effective hit.
It's all about the 'launch' and the timing to get that launch right. Hey, what would I know, you already outcast me!
Cheers mate, hope to see you in January!

Cheers,
Simon
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
werty0_0

Return to Technique