Tracking the lead

Swing it high, swing it low, drag it across the ground? Discussion on casting technique.

Tracking the lead

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Well thanks to my beautiful wife I have a new high speed sports camera that allows me to see the lead right throughout the cast when the footage is slowed down.
I went out to have a play with the camera and was happy casting both the 200 gram as well as the 150 gram .
It is goof seeing the sinker when you view the footage on the bigger screen :D

Here's the footage for those interested.
https://youtu.be/XpypuV_arLI

Regards :mrgreen:
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Re: Tracking the lead

Postby Dan-C » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:00 am

The new camera takes some beautiful footage.
I may need to have a word with my wife. Being able to see the lead would be great to help in debugging my cast.

Out of interest, in an ideal world, when would you start to turn? When the lead is slightly greater than 90 degrees to the rod tip, or when the lead is further outside the tip like 130 degrees to the rod? Or perhaps even further still? :geek:
Dan-C

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:26 pm

The ideal time to commence the turn would be at 180 degrees or greater , by this I mean that say when we start an OTG the lead is placed at right angels to the tip (90 degree ) as it starts to stem out and come level with the tip it would then be at its furthest point in its arc and pulling away to the outside of the arc. This is where the tricky part comes in and we have to turn at a speed that maintains this outward force and hence have the lead achieving its maximum speed.

Much easier said than done as can be seen by the number of casters still trying to achieve the bigger distances :oops:

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

Jeremy Schrader

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Had another session with the new camera and starting to get the cast worked out a bit better as well :D
https://youtu.be/0BfJkICmzmE
Welcome to the Dark Side

Jeremy Schrader

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Had another session down at a few fields today but due to the length of the grass on the first field andf the number of bees etc as the flowers were in full bloom I decided to head over to Sydney Pargetter which I found was being worked on so had to contend with cut up ground and soft sand . Still it was good to get down and throw the leads :-)

Here's the footage :D

https://youtu.be/z3MdoNTo0Tw

Will head down to Cherry Lake again tomorrow :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

Jeremy Schrader

Return to Technique