Pendulum timing any tips?

Swing it high, swing it low, drag it across the ground? Discussion on casting technique.

Pendulum timing any tips?

Postby Gippslander » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 pm

Went for a cast the other day.

I thought I was waiting long enough on the back swing by counting one.. two. Although it did feel Ike I was getting forced over the top. However, on seeing the footage it looks like I was counting 1,2 too quickly rather than one thousand- two thousand. Thus getting forced over the top and not able to accelerate the hit.

That is what appears to me anyway, am I on the right track?

I'll work on editing YouTube, only just signed up.

Only got the the first two casts taped before the wind chill killed the battery life in the iPhone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8e50EaZ5Xbo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FnirOapxkpQ
Gippslander

Re: Pendulum timing any tips?

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 am

Hugh ,

Looking at the video shows that your left arm is not pushing out and upwards as you turn , this is because you are starting the turn too fast and therefore feeling the whole pressure as the lead comes around. Your wait seems to be Ok though you could put a bit more speed into the in-swing so the step out is faster.

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby Gippslander » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks Jeremy

Will do my best to implement your advice.

Regards hugh
Gippslander

Postby Gippslander » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Tried the above today, unfortunately my camera women went off and did her other job :roll:

Am pretty sure it made a big difference: rod loaded up a lot more/ heavier when entering punch pull, was not forced over the top, plus had a split second more on the pull. Also, I had full mags on the squall when usually they' re halved so as to counter act the 40kph side wind. I did'nt want to be doing false reads due to a massive bow in the line. Nonetheless going by the squalls lines I was averaging at least 20 m plus better if not more. Although I was more impressed myself with the feel of a heavier rod come the punch pull.

A possible reason for my previous tentativeness with my left was to ensure a tight line/ contact with the lead ( I thought this was an imperative?) on the final inswing. With new higher positivity with the left push out I notice a little bounce of the lead on the beginning of the inswing,despite this I seem to have an increase in lead speed in getting it outside the tip, plus it didn't negatively affect my form later in the cast.

Form wasn't always perfect though with a few casts seeing me either Turing to quickly at the start of the turn or not leaving my arms behind me, meaning I somtimes did not have my left foot planted soon enough to best transfer body weight and power.
Gippslander

Return to Technique