Plug Casting Techniques ?

Swing it high, swing it low, drag it across the ground? Discussion on casting technique.

Plug Casting Techniques ?

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 am

Interest in throwing the little plug has increased with me as it is easy to find a field that you can practice on and also the risk to other field users is at a minimum .

Yesterday I had a short session trying to get one of my overheads tuned up to throwing the 18 gram and whilst the reel was controllable it was interesting to see how the arm placement impacted the way I could hit the rod. I was using my 13' Century TTUL-St mated with the Daiwa Sol TWG, mags were set at 6 and whilst a few of the cast were in the 100 meter range I feel that there should be more in the outfit.

With the casting the initial 3 casts were done with a shorter grip but after these I was finding it harder to control the 13' and hence widened the remaining cast. This allowed a faster pull finish and felt better with this length rod. When I get the chance I will try the same reel but this time on my 11'6" model and see how that reacts to the different grips .

Here's the footage from the session .

https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.schrader.10/videos/10212944558863249/
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Re: Plug Casting Techniques ?

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am

Well got out again but this time took down the 11'6" version of my TTUL-ST . Still using the little Daiwa SOl but wanting to see the difference in distances and feel that the shorter rod affords.

At this stage I am liking the feel of the shorter rod but will need to do a side by side comparison on distances to get a clear winner at this stage.

Here's the video footage.

https://youtu.be/k7qIM8TtvlE

Regards :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Return to Technique