Resorting to the low swing, advice please.

Swing it high, swing it low, drag it across the ground? Discussion on casting technique.

Resorting to the low swing, advice please.

Postby Gippslander » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Please, I would appreciate any pointers on how to improve this low swing thank you:

[New hopefully working link:] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFMWrMtQ_kc&t=57s

Rod is komp ss, 150g.

Apologies, i should of noticed and edited out a few of the practice back swings as i'm still building up confidence in the style.

After having failed to get my timing right on the back swing of my high swing before my fishing trip i elected to copy Grants low swing as failing to get the timing right with 200g and bait isn't the most pleasant of experiences on the body and also gives woeful distances. I have also noted a variety of casters using the the style (obviously this includes Jeremy) to good affect. I had also previously read a couple of articles by Peter Thain expounding the virtues of the low swing.

Having Grant at hand i was able to copy his technique and i was surprised how easy it was to learn. The back swing also made it easier to get the timing of the turn right, although this may of also been helped by my incorporation of a little side ways step that may contribute in helping me delay the start of my turn.

Anyway i'm sure i've in no way mastered it, i'm just pleased; more line is coming off the reel, it is a lot easier to repeat its timing and technique, and that its a lot more easily replicated with 200g and bait.

Regards Hugh
Gippslander

Re: Resorting to the low swing, advice please.

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 am

Hugh ,

As nobody else has posted a response for you here's my observations.

1. Focus on getting the left arm pushing UP and outward as you turn, forget the right as that will follow and come into play when you start the pull in with the left.
2. Make sure that you get the left foot planted more and get your body weight over it more , this means that you will have loaded the rod more with your weight .
3. Pull in fast with the left once you are square to the target with the right punching up to the 1.0 o'clock position.

Hope this helps :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Postby Gippslander » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks Jeremy

The advice is really appreciated.

Here is some more footage from a couple of days ago. I was trying to get my left up higher/ straighter and also get more of my body weight into the hit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pNfjG4krvuA

Although looking at it now with your tips in mind I definitely think I can get more of my body weight over my front foot on the hit and be more aggressive with my left pull.

Probably could also have a tad straighter left that comes round the side more. What do you think?

Regards hugh
Gippslander

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Hugh ,

Have a look at this to see what I was saying , very relaxed and plenty of power on the in-swing so that the lead steps out and gives you plenty of time to get set up over the front foot .

https://youtu.be/1EC3RT0LjHU

Hope this helps :D
Welcome to the Dark Side

We have Cookies : - )
Jeremy Schrader

Return to Technique